My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/bulldogs-blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Evans Q&A on Arrest

Here's the full transcript of the question-and-answer session with Damon Evans today...

Q: What was the reaction from Michael Adams?

“Dr. Adams is supportive. I think he’s going to let things play out. He has to do what is in the best interest of this institution. He told me that. I told him I agree with him from that standpoint. He knows I made a mistake, a serious mistake. He understands that. I believe Dr. Adams wants to work through that with me, but at the same time I think it depends on how things play out. If I bring too much shame or embarrassment to this institution, then there’s no telling what will happen. But Dr. Adams has been very good to deal with thus far.”

Q: Do you see your job status right now as undetermined?

“I’m not going to get into that, but I just know this: There are policies and procedures at this institution. I know that what I did is very, very serious. And I think that when, even me when I’ve been in a position to deal with stuff like that, you have to take a step back and see where we are and if we can move forward with said individual, and I think that’s the appropriate thing to do.”

Q: What was your relationship to the passenger in the vehicle?

“Just a friend.”

Q: Is it your desire to remain at your job?

“My desire is to keep my job. I want to be here at the University of Georgia. I love this institution. This is my alma mater. I believe that we have a lot of unfinished business here at the University of Georgia, and I will do everything in my power to be a part of this institution. But at the same time respect whatever comes my way.”

Q: Did you offer your resignation?

“No I did not.”

Q: Does the woman who was arrested with you have any affiliation with the athletics department at Georgia?

“No. No.”

Q: Have you met with any of the student-athletes?

“I’ve got a lot of people to meet with. I do need to address the student-athletes. That’s going to be something that is difficult, just as it was to address our coaches and senior staff. I’ve got to find the right time to do that. I’ve got to address a lot of individuals. It goes to student-athletes. It goes to administration. It goes to board members. It goes to alums. I’ve got a lot of addressing to do.”

Q: What did you tell the coaches when you met with them?

“First and foremost, I apologized. I apologized to those individuals. We’re here to support our student-athletes and our coaches. That’s what my job is as an administrator, to help them be as successful as they possibly can. I always talk about setting the tone and setting the example, and I failed to do that. So it was an apology. I wanted them to know where I stood. I wanted them to hear it from me personally and know that I have a lot of respect and admiration for what they do, and hopefully I can be a leader that they would like me to be.”

Q: So you do not have any plans to resign?

“No. I should rephrase that this way: I have a lot of things on my mind, and when you’re in a situation like this, you contemplate. I want to be at the University of Georgia as I stated earlier. But I made a serious mistake, and I’m not taking that lightly, nor should anyone in this room take that lightly, nor should the president of this institution take that lightly. However that’s dealt with, as some might say, I’ve just got to accept it. I’ve made my bed, and now I have to lay in it.”

Q: Can you recall the specifics of what happened last night?

“It’s an ongoing case, and I’ve been advised not to comment specifically about that case.”

Q: In a more general sense, do you recall last night?

“Again, I don’t want to get into that right now while this case is still under investigation.”

Q: Athletes are subject to immediate punishment when charged with a DUI. Do you feel or do you know what punishment you'll receive?

“The question was, players who receive DUIs, there were certain sanctions that we bring forth. You know, I don’t know. I don’t know what’s coming my way. That’s a determination of the president and the powers that be to take a look at everything in totality and render a decision. I’m going to sit back, do what I need to do to try to, as best as possible rectify this current situation.”

Q: Do you feel this arrest will hinder your ability to do your job?

“Some might say that. Some might say that it does compromise my ability. I’m looking at this as it’s going to make me stronger. I’m looking to take this and rebuild myself and become an even better leader. I think in life, our greatest successes come from our failures. We all know that. What you’ve got to do is you’ve got to learn. You’ve got to take those mistakes and learn from them, and that’s what I plan on doing in all facets of my life. This is not just about – as much as I love the University of Georgia, there’s some things personally I’ve got to take a look at. I’ve got to look at my family. That’s important. I don’t want to bring shame to people who mean so much to me.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really thought Damon was smarter than that. It is very disappointing.

Unknown said...

David -
Thanks for posting the Q&A. As disappointing as his actions are, his responses to the questions are about as genuine and respectable as anyone could ever ask for. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to read them.

Anonymous said...

The reporters present at the conference were really easy on damon...were they just reading questions off an approved list by the athletics department?...kinda soft if you ask me...most direct question was about his relationship with the female, and then no follow up...how about who else was in the car?...his wife?...his kids?...why did he refuse the breathalizer?...like it or not, his personal life is not his private life...because his actions represent our university, and not just from 9 to 5...as I recall there was a very successful gymnastics coach whose private life was scrutinized very closely, and she was just a coach, not the AD...hopefully the standard set for her will be used in his judgement as well

Anonymous said...

9:32 do you know what you just said? The "successful" coach was/is living with a married man and you want the same standards for Damon? There were no standards! Her live-in is Adam's boss. You call that standards???
I call it disgusting.